Here's just a small sampling of the natural treasures of the internet.
I hope some of them stand out to you.
- This is Water by David Foster Wallace. Few pieces of writing in this world are the face of a generation. This is one of them. Glorious.
- How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life by Ross Roberts. A book about how to make good choices and understand yourself and others around you.
- Mimetic Theory by Rene Girard. Meaty topic and the link on here is just a brief introduction.
- Paul Graham’s essay on having kids. Might be something worth reflecting on before embarking on that journey.
- Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela is the autobiography of a true leader. Mandela is one of the few world leaders that achieved his/her goals by serving others and his life experiences are so varied that this book carries lessons for everyone.
- Competition is For Losers by Peter Thiel (this is a talk for 2014 but the content is pure gold)
- 50 Ideas That Changed My Life is a compilation of concepts that may influence how you make your life more fulfilling, productive, and interesting.
Alternative Paths to Education
Twitter, Podcasts, and Personal Sites to Follow
- Invest Like The Best is a podcast that explores the ideas, methods, and stories of people that will help you better invest your time and money. The well-prepared and articulate host is the show´s best asset.
- David Perrell follow this guy for the finest writing advice on how to write online.
- The Sweaty Startup is the ultimate resource guide for starting a business in a service industry
- Paul Graham from Y Combinator on Startups. The essays are the best part of his website and 1000% worth it.
- Eric Weinstein´s twitter or his podcast The Portal are both windows into the mind of one of the smartest people in financial management, tech, and politics.
- Kat Cole is a self-made woman (started as a Hooters´ waiter) and climbed up the corporate latter to eventually lead Focus Brands (Jamba juice, cinnabon, etc.)
- Katherine Boyle is a journalist turned VC who I wished tweeted more often :). Her insights on government, the responsibility of journalism, and investments are worth sharing.
- Dee W Hock: The founder and CEO of VISA. This guy writes exquisite tweets on business and life. Also his website has a bunch of essays. I especially connected with the managing, leading, and following essay particularly because the idea of servant leadership really shines through.
- Dr. Julie Gurner is an exec performance coach who is focused on identifying and understanding the patterns of behavior, daily decisions, and incremental wins that catapult a small fraction of the population to the very top of their fields.
- Others worth following are VC investors and entrepreneurs Joe Lonsdale & David Sacks